Tuesday, October 31, 2006

October 21, 2006 - Game Recap

Crato vs. Pace vs. Mark

A recent game full of records and some leaks from the wiffle rumor mill . . .

Two Saturdays ago, Pace, Crato and I played a 4 inning 1 on 1 on 1. I won't go into my usual play by play detail but the facts to remember are these:

  • I gave up 6 home runs in a row to Crato.
  • He hit 8 HR in that inning, I think.
  • Out of my total 8 outs for the game, I struck out 7 times
  • I couldn't hit a thing and at the end of the game I was bunting foul just to draw walks. I struck out bunting for the last out.
  • Pace and Crato went back and forth and back and forth on the lead with some pretty awesome home runs for both.

I think the final score was 21-18-3. Crato won it with a 3-run walk off HR off Pace.
I think Pace lead off the game with HR off Crato. Those are always exciting and deflating. Not as deflating as 6 HR in a row, though. That sucked. Not as bad as not being able to hit, though, that was the worst.

Game report by Mark Lambert

1 comment:

Pace said...

Thanks for the play-by-play, Mark. The only thing I would add is a more detailed description of the bunt strikeout. That plate appearance kind of summed up the day on the whole for you:
I think Mark quickly fell behind 0-2, or maybe 1-2 and I pitched him a slider that came back over the heart of the plate. He didn't like what was coming so he literally just placed his bat out there and angled it towards 1st base foul territory. Crato shouted from left field, "isn't that an out?" (fouling out on a bunt constitutes a strikeout) and Mark responded, simply, "no." He proceeded to "fight off" a few more pitches and was able to work the count all the way to 2-2. Then I threw a bad overhand curve and Mark chased it. It actually bounced several inches in front of home plate as Mark pushed his bat at it. I must admit that the whole event was so unprecedented that for a split second I wasn't sure what had just happened and if it was an out or not (If Mark had referred to some bogus non strikeout rule I probably would have believed him) but once I heard Crato laughing I knew it was a strikeout (the 7th and final). After that Mark showed some restraint by only giving the bat a half bat-toss (it had already been established that Mark's bat-throwing antics were a bad influence on Land) but then got on his hands and knees and started forcefully rummaging (I really don't know how else to describe it) through the dirt and gravel by the bush off to the side of home plate.